Months of planning, learning music, selling ads and tickets, and rehearsals culminate this week with our annual spring show.
Special performance Thursday at Solon
The chorus will perform many of our show songs in a special concert this Thursday at Solon High School. We will be joined on stage by some of the Solon groups led by Joel Foreman. This will be a great opportunity to team up with Solon and see their new performing arts center. The school is located at 600 W 5th St., Solon.
Uniform for the night is the blue short-sleeved Harmony Hawks shirt, black pants, black shoes, socks and belts.
Schedule for the night
- 7:00 Arrive, warm up..
- 7:30 Start Show
- Harmony Hawks
- 1. I’d Like to teach the world to sing
- 2. Help from My Friends
- 3. I wanna Hold Your Hand
- Bohemian Red: Rhythm of Love
- County Corridor: Blue Suede Shoes
- Harmony Hawks
- Isn’t she lovely
- 4-part harmony demonstration using “Let me Call you Sweetheart”
- Patriotic Medley
- Solon Men’s Chorus: three songs
- Harmony Hawks rejoin them on stage and teach/ Learn some tags
- Harmony Hawks will stay on stage with Solon boys and we will teach them the America the Beautiful OVERLAY, then add Greg’s solo in there.
Schedule for show day, April 28
- 8:30a Stage setup
- 10:00 Tech rehearsal
- 11:00 Run through *Full chorus and chorus quartets/VLQ
- 12:30p Lunch (on your own)
- 2:00 Warmups *Full chorus and chorus quartets/VLQ
- 2:30 House opens
- 3:00 Show
- 5:00 Show over, strike- Disassemble stage & risers
- 6:00 Out of the Concert Hall- To VFW for afterglow
Afterglow plans set
The afterglow is shaping up to be quite the party with over 100 making reservations to attend. Performers will be free but have been asked to signup so we can have plenty of food available. Lee Freie has done a great job organizing the event. Thank you, Lee!
Youth in Harmony Event planned for Oct. 5
Please put Friday, October 5 on your calendars for our sponsorship of the Cedar Rapids Young Men in Harmony Festival. It will be held at Prairie Point Middle School starting at 12:30.Youth from both Prairie Point and Benton Community will be involved, and we will be inviting other area schools.
The afternoon clinic will be conducted by John Hayden. The participants will be learning two songs (they will get their music earlier to be working on it). We will also have a guest quartet to act as the “demo” quartet during the clinic.
We will be doing a pizza dinner for everyone at 5:00.
At 7:00 we will be doing a “Friends and Family” concert featuring the Harmony Hawks, our festival participants performing their two songs and a set by our guest quartet.
There will be plenty of volunteer opportunities for you as chorus members at this event, so please watch for more details to follow over the next few months.
Youth in Harmony Coordinator
These three chorus members were recognized for April 12 for renewing their memberships. Gary Glockhoff has been a member for 36 years and has two Men of Note awards. Lee Freie has been a member for 17 years. Sean Smith has been a member for 14 years and has three Men of Note awards. Thank you Gary, Lee and Sean for your continued loyalty to the Harmony Hawks.