Here are the songs for Tuesday, July 6.
- Homeward Bound
- Brother, Can you Spare a Dime
- Happy Days
- Beautiful Savior
- Shenandoah tag (if time permits)
- Isn’t She Lovely
Off The Music Dates:
- Last week: Shenandoah
- Last week: Homeward Bound
- July 13: Happy Days (coming up VERY soon)
- July 27: Brother, Can You Spare a Dime
Sing at the ballpark
Those who signed up need to report to Veteran’s Stadium at 5:30 this Thursday to join forces with the Old Capitol Chorus singing the National Anthem and, if you wish, stay for the game.
Joint rehearsals start July 13
From director Chad Knipfer:
We are about to embark on joint rehearsal with the Old Chorus in an endeavor to compete in Lawrence, KS on Oct. 9. I would like to see at least 40 guys on the risers for this event. Please send this out to anyone you think may be interested in attending. If someone is interested but doesn’t think he can financially afford it, please feel free to reach out to me ([email protected]) or a member of your chorus’ board, as there are options available to try and accommodate all.
We will NOT just be singing and working our contest song in these joint rehearsals; we will be singing other songs that we both know. Below are the details of the rehearsal schedule and song list.
Mission: To create a musical experience and memory to last a lifetime with like-minded fellows & to elevate the barbershop experience in Eastern Iowa for as many people who want to participate. Creating and performing with a group such as this takes effort and commitment from everyone involved. Please respect everyone’s time by coming to rehearsals as prepared and warmed up as possible so we can make the best music possible with our time together.
Rehearsals will be taking place at DanceMor Ballroom, 77 2nd St SE, Swisher, IA 52338
During combined rehearsal weeks (below), we will not be holding normal chapter night on the “off” day (Thursday OCC, Tuesday Hawks), so that everyone needs to only commit to one night a week. Friends & Family are welcome and encouraged to come to rehearsals to listen and root us on!
Friends & Family Potluck
Saturday, July 17 – 4-8 pm, Penn Meadows Park in North Liberty – south shelter. Group sing around 5 pm. Bring a chair, dish to share, meat of your choice, and own drinks and table settings. Lets have everyone there!
- Tuesday, July 13 – 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Thursday, July 29 – 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Tuesday, August 10 – 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Thursday, August 26 – 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Tuesday, September 7 – 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Thursday, September 16 – 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Tuesday, September 21 – 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Thursday, September 30 – 6:30pm-9:00pm – Family & Friends send-off night. Will rehearse for an hour then perform our set a couple of times.
Songs to rehearse:
- Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? Contest
- Happy Days (Are Here Again) Contest
- Homeward Bound
Support Oakley’s Great Guitar Buildoff
Oakley showed us his completed project Tuesday night, and it is impressive. To get a better idea of just what work went into this, watch this YouTube video and then go and vote.
To vote, all you need to do is click on the heart icon on the page to submit your vote!
Please share this with all of your family and friends coworkers, retired friends, golf buddies etc to help get that number up!!
Where to vote: (Again just click the heart icon to vote)https://greatguitarbuildoff.com/products/oakley-lyon
Now that we are back rehearsing in person we will be featuring those who have renewed their memberships. This week we honor Tom Read who has been a chapter member for 47 years and has served as Chapter Development VP and Music librarian for many years. Thank you, Tom, for all you have done for the chorus!
- July 9: National Anthem at Veteran’s Stadium, 5:30 p.m.
- July 17: A joint cookout with the Old Capitol Chorus,
- Penn Meadows Park, North Liberty – South Concession Stand
- 4 – 8 pm
- Sing @ 5:00, eat following
- Bring games
- Open invitation for anyone
- Bring your own meat, dish to share, table service, beverages
- August 13: Golf outing @ Airport National
- September 25(?): Possible dessert fundraiser, two one-hour small audience concerts
- Fall CSD Contest, Oct. 8 – 10 in Lawrence, KS
- Gospel Concert, tentatively scheduled for November 12 or 19