Harmony Hawks Chorus
The Harmony Hawks Barbershop Chorus is a community service chorus based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Men and boys aged 16 and older from across Eastern Iowa sing with us. We are affiliated with the Barbershop Harmony Society, and barbershop harmony lies at the heart of our repertoire that also includes patriotic, gospel, and popular music arranged as four-part acapella harmony.
Some highlights include:
- Providing entertainment for Tribute to Heroes, the kickoff event for the Cedar Rapids Freedom Festival
- Raising money for charity in our annual Gospel Concert
- Providing music for many Naturalization Ceremonies
- Teaming up with choirs from College Community’s Prairie Point middle school in our annual spring show
- Visiting area schools to demonstrate vocal technique and barbershop quartet singing
- Sponsoring a Youth in Harmony Festival for 150 students 7-12
Our mission: to promote singing for a lifetime.
Our have members ranged in age from high school youth to senior citizens with over 60 years of singing experience in our chorus. By learning to blend our voices, we develop both our vocal skill and the bonds of friendship with each other. Singing invigorates us and keeps our minds sharp. Our mission includes reaching out to schools to assist them in bringing the gift of singing to their students.
- If you are a male aged 16 or older who loves to sing, come to any rehearsal
- We meet Tuesdays, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, 1340 Third Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- Come join us at one of our public performances
- Call Jack Ray (319-360-6858), to visit rehearsal
- To schedule a performance, contact Larry Hlavacek ([email protected])
Singing in competition:
The Harmony Hawks Chorus and quartets compete yearly in the Central States District of the Barbershop Harmony Society. Preparing for contest sharpens our skills and raises the level of performance on all our songs.
2023 Harmony Hawks Board of Directors and Officers
- President, Larry Hlavacek
- Secretary, Wendell Aldrich
- Treasurer, Al Huneke
- Music VP, Larry Hlavacek
- Programming Co-VP, Larry Hlavacek and Bill Moss
- Membership & Chapter Development VP, Jack Ray
- Marketing & Public Relations VP, Gary Lindsay
- Past President, Cliff Newman
- Bill Moss, at large
- Steve Nelson, at large
2023 Spring Show Chairs
- Al and Mary Huneke